We constantly get asked how people can get involved. We’ll list a number of ways but first, we want you to know the Do1Thing also needs your help.
We introduced you to hundreds of homeless teens across the country, putting a face on a tragic social dilemma while helping you to make a one to one connection with real homeless teens suffering through real issues. We did our 1 thing to expose a new wave of homeless and now we’re asking you to Do1Thing to help. The issues surrounding homelessness are enormous and the solutions offered are endless. But what if we all did 1 thing to help? We think radical change would occur.
You want to talk about radical? We even encourage donors to donate directly to the non profits listed on our site. It is the goal of Do1Thing to empower homeless youth to move themselves from homelessness to a permanent housing. Empowerment comes by outfitting the teens with training, items and supplies needed to overcome their current situations move forward. We partner with non profits who have a proven track record of moving youth off the street and into permanent housing.
We want to continue shining the light on homelessness but we can only do so with your help. Here’s how you can help the Do1Thing project:
In Kind Donations ~ We realize we’re in the midst of tough economic times and we want to cognizant of that. Did you know that all the photographers, editors, writers and staff donated all time? That’s right. They did it all for free. Now we need you to donate some of your talents and offerings by helping us with the following:
- PRINTING: Do1Thing wants to print a traveling photographic gallery so that we can educate the masses by sharing the images and stories of these homeless teens. Would you be willing to print a gallery of images for us?
- FRAMING: A gallery can’t be displayed unless it’s framed. Do you own a framing company? Would you donate the framing for the project?
- PRINTED MATERIALS: We need a printer to donate printing for informational post cards, trifolds, press kits, educational handouts, flyers and stickers.
- WEB HOSTING: We’re looking for a hosting company to donate hosting services. Can you help?
- WEB MASTER: Do you have extensive experience with coding in wordpress? Are you familiar with coding HTML, xHTML, CSS, PHP and flash? Do you run a web design firm who would we willing to donate your services to help up keep fresh content on the web? Then you’re the guy we need!
- DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST: Partnering with non-profits proving on the ground assistance to homeless youth is essential to the success of Do1Thing. We’re looking for a development specialist who loves making connections.
- GRANT WRITER: Raising funds is never easy but it is the goal of Do1Thing to have every dollar donated go directly to project with 100% of the administrative costs of running a charity paid by corporations and grants. Is grant writing your gift?
- ACCOUNTANT: Love counting pennies? A background in non profit accounting?
- DESIGNER: Talented, creative, energetic and web savvy? If this describes you then you’re the designer we need to design e-cards for the Holiday and Valentine’s Day campaigns.
- MEDIA COMPANY: Do1Thing wants to continue telling these teens stories and what better way than printing DVD’s for our educational outreach? Can you help?
- GALLERY SPACE: Do you have gallery space? Are you a museum curator? Do you have access to a great location we can travel the gallery to?
- PR: Publicity, partnerships, events, we need help! Do you work for a great pr firm that cares about socially conscious causes and are willing to donate your time to help Do1Thing?
Here are other ways you can get involved:
1) Visit a homeless shelter and drop off supplies. Click “by state” or “by organization” for a list of needed supplies.
2) Tell a friend to visit Do1Thing.org. Click on the Tell A Friend button at the top of this page.
3) Donate money. Click on the Donate tab on the navigation bar.
4) Wear Do1Thing clothes with our cool logo, you can order them off our Donate page.
5) Contact Your Members of Congress: Get the names of your Senators and Representative and how to reach them. Visit www.senate.gov and www.house.gov to identify your Senators and Representative and their contact information for both D.C. and home state offices. THEN, Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121 to connect with your Senators and Representative.
6) Contact your LOCAL Runaway and Homeless Youth Organization (RHY) and ask if they need volunteers.
7) Organize a HYGIENE DRIVE (a collection of soap, shampoo, socks, deodaront, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.) and deliver them to your local organization.
8) Donate $5 or $10—ask five friends to do the same.
9) Link your blog sites to the do1thing.org site, sign up to follow us on twitter to get up to date info on what we’re doing, join our community on facebook causes
10) Many homeless teens have little access to good dental care. Donate your services.
11) To get off the streets you have to be able to pay your bills. Offer a teen a job.
But there is so much more you can do. These kids have dreams, and odds are you can help fulfill one.
Perry has dreams of going to music school and wants to become a musician, a music instructor or recording engineer. Can you help?
Perry ~ Dreams and Reality
Sakina put herself through college while she was homeless. She graduated and now she wants to be a designer. Can you help?
Sakina ~ Off the Streets